A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Thursday, September 12, 2013

One Burlap Wreath for 4 Seasons!

I’m all about saving money and resources so when my bestest and set out to make a Christmas wreath made out of burlap, I realized that we could totally make it interchangeable. Like totally.

First of all there are so many different ways to make your wreath. Pinterest has TONS of links for burlap wreaths. So without going into much detail I’m going to show you some random pictures of mine in progress.

First of all it takes very few things to get started.

You can do this with as little as a wire wreath, some burlap and some felt.

IMG_6164

I chose to get 3 yards of burlap and just cut 2-6” wide strips along the long side and it worked out perfectly for this. Plus I have plenty left over to do other fun projects with.

Basically after you cut your strips you secure it to the wire with a little hot glue and then you just start shoving it through the wires. I started at the top, then went to the middle, then the bottom, then the middle and repeated from that point on.

wreath

You need to make sure you fluff as you go. It’s basically shove and fluff, shove and fluff until you make it all the way around. It took a little bit to get the hang of it but once you get it it was pretty easy going. I also chose to put little bits of hot glue here and there just for extra security, but I think you could probably do this without that and it be just fine. It sits in there pretty tight.

After I got my wreath all done I started to make my felt poinsettias. These were so simple to do. Just cut out 10 petals per flower. I cut one out and then used it as a guide to cut out 10 more. Make sure one end of the petal is flat so you can add a drop of glue and pinch it together. Cut out a small circle of felt and proceed to glue your petals onto the circle with 5 petals then glue the next row of petals in-between the bottom five. Make sense? I’m sure you can tell by the pictures what I’m talking about. If not, don’t hesitate to ask.

wreath2

If you have some pretty beads go ahead and add them to the middle for a little extra bling.

   wreath3

And the Voila! You’re done.

wreath5

Now here comes the fun part.

Figure out where you want your flowers. Then glue the rough part of your velcro to the wreath like this.

IMG_6162

Then glue the other part of the velcro to the back of your flowers. Here I have my poinsettias and some Fallish silk flowers. When Spring and Summer come around I’ll find the perfect flowers and do the same. But for now I just did Fall and Christmas.

IMG_6163

Here are the wreaths with the two different looks.

IMG_6160 IMG_6161

Don’t forget to add festive coordinating ribbon to hang it with. You can have so much fun with this. You’re only limited to your imagination and in some instances your pocketbook. *smile*

My BFF Kathy chose to do hers in a white burlap. I think it came out really pretty too. Don’t you just love options?

wreath6

So what do you think? You gonna give it a try?

If you do I’d love to see it. You can always post a picture over at my Homesteader’s Heart FB page.

OXOX,

Kim

I’m linking up with Made by You Monday @ Skip to My Lou.

5 comments:

  1. I've never seen one of those before. Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative! I have a wreath I'm always changing out with the seasons...velcro is a great solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fantastic idea ;) :) :) Burlap seems to be everywhere these days, too :) :) Thanks for sharing the craft idea :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Velcro idea! ...and the Pats t too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out so gorgeous!! I absolutely love it!

    Big maybe-one-of-these-days-I'll-get-crafty-like-you size hugs to you! Love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin